Monday, February 08, 2010

Why I Love Hawaii...

As you see from my comments on the recent sojourn to Puerto Rico, my first love will always be Hawaii. But I got to thinking about why I'm so partial. After all, many tropical spots have warmth and a lot of sun.

Stepping off the plane in Hawaii, you are greeted by the aroma of Orchids and other flora. You would think that would be true in the Caribbean as well... but it's not! At least not to the degree that you are immediately aware. In Hawaii - even Honolulu - the scents are striking!

But here's an element that I have always felt but hadn't really thought about... as you step off the plane and into the air terminal - again, even in Honolulu - the ambiance is one of relative peace and calm. The area around the carrousel might be momentarily busy but it's not frantic as it is in airports in San Juan or Cancun or Montego Bay. Leaving a Hawaiian airport, you never get hustled or hassled. And you will never feel like you're battling the crowd.

Lastly, as I have preached for years, there are no more hospitable people on Earth than the Hawaiians (including the "mainlanders" that now live and work in the islands). The Hawaiian people are simply the element that makes this land so special... at least in my book. The level of service and graciousness in Mexico and much of the Caribbean has risen dramatically over the last 10 years. Hats off to those we have come in contact with throughout our travels. BUT, as friendly and nice as they are, they just can't quite equal the Hawaiians.

Again, just my opinion!

Dick

No comments: